Call or schedule a call back to find out how we can help you today.Call Now
Anti-aging techniques have been around for centuries, with people trying all sorts of remedies to achieve a youthful appearance. A wrinkle-free face, no frown lines, and an overall youthful appearance are what we all strive for as we get older.
But as we age, it’s not just about lines and wrinkles; one of the biggest issues is volume loss. Volume loss in our face can make us look tired, angry, or sad. Thankfully there is an easy solution! Dermal or injectable fillers can help to restore that lost volume, providing a fresher, more youthful look!
If you are looking for the best aesthetic doctor, contact Dr. Allingham at Oakton Primary Care Center. At your consultation, Dr. Allingham will discuss the available filler options and determine if dermal or lip fillers are right for you.
If you’re looking for dermal fillers in Oakton VA, Alexandria VA, Arlington VA, or the Washington DC areas, Dr. Allingham and his team are here for you. With over 25 years of experience, they are here for all your facial rejuvenation needs.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers (facial fillers) were first approved by the FDA in 1981 and have since become a popular dermal facial injectable. Facial rejuvenation with fillers can help to diminish the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging. More importantly, dermal fillers can also help to restore facial volume and contour. There are many different fillers on the market today, each with its unique benefits.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
Dermal fillers work by filling in the spaces beneath the skin that have become hollowed out over time. By restoring lost volume, fillers can help to smooth away wrinkles and smile lines while also providing a lift to the skin. Injecting dermal fillers is a minimally invasive procedure that can be performed in-office with little to no downtime.
Where Do Wrinkles Come From?
Wrinkles are caused by several factors, including sun damage, smoking, and the natural aging process. As we age, our skin produces less collagen and elastin, which leads to the formation of lines and wrinkles. Fillers can help to plump up the skin and smooth away these unwanted imperfections.
Types of Fillers
There are many different types of dermal fillers on the market today. Each type of filler is made from different materials and offers its own unique set of benefits.
The most popular dermal fillers include:
- Hyaluronic acid (Ha): Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that is found in the skin. This filler can help to add volume and hydration to the skin. It is also one of the safest dermal fillers on the market today. Some popular brands of hyaluronic acid fillers include Revanesse®, Juvederm®, and Restylane®.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA): Calcium hydroxylapatite is a filler made from minerals found in the bones. This filler can help to add volume and structure to the skin, and it is also one of the longest-lasting dermal fillers on the market. Some popular brands of calcium hydroxylapatite fillers include Radiesse® and Sculptra®.
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA): Poly-L-lactic acid is a dermal filler made from synthetic materials. This filler can stimulate collagen production in the skin. Along with hyaluronic acid, It is also one of the longest-lasting fillers on the market. Some popular brands of poly-L-lactic acid fillers include Sculptra® and Ellanse®.
- Polyalkylimide: Polyalkylimide is a dermal filler made from synthetic materials. This filler can help to add volume and hydration to the skin, and it is also one of the safest fillers on the market. Some popular brands of polyalkylimide dermal fillers include Aquamid® and Perfectha®.
Facial Rejuvenation with Revanesse®
We are proud to offer Revanesse dermal fillers at Oakton Primary Care Center. Revanesse is a hyaluronic acid filler that can help to smooth away wrinkles, fine lines, and acne scars while also providing a lift to the skin. Revanesse is one of the safest fillers on the market today and can be injected in-office with little to no downtime.
Revanesse Versa is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler, and it is one of the longest-lasting natural-looking fillers on the market. Revanesse Versa can help to smooth away wrinkles and fine lines while also providing a lift to the skin.
In one clinical study, 50% more patients given a comparable filler suffered from swelling than those who got Revanesse Versa. The Versa formula has been evaluated in three clinical studies with over 300 patients with many skin types, with no significant adverse effects reported.
Versa is used to treat moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in adults 22 years of age or older and is injected into the mid to deep dermis.
Revanesse Lips+ is specifically designed for use in the lips. Revanesse Lips+ can help to add volume and definition to the lips while also providing hydration. On average Lips+ patients needed less product to achieve desired treatment results, and 98.1% of patients treated reported minimal or no swelling after receiving their first treatment.
Dermal Filler Procedure
Dermal filler injections are quick and easy. The filler is injected into the skin with a fine needle. There is usually no need for anesthesia as the dermal filler contains lidocaine, which helps to numb the injection site.
The filler will take effect immediately, and you will be able to see the results of your treatment right away. The filler will gradually break down over time and will eventually need to be injected again to maintain the results. The average dermal filler treatment will last for six to twelve months.
After your injection, you may experience mild side effects such as redness, bruising, swelling, or soreness at the injection site. These side effects should resolve within a few days.
- You should not exercise or drink alcohol for at least 24 hours after your dermal filler injection.
- Facials, waxing, Glycolic peels, IPL or energy-based treatments, and microdermabrasion should all be avoided for two weeks following your injections.
How to Make Results Last Longer
There are a few things that you can do to make your facial filler results last longer.
- One of the best things that you can do is to avoid smoking. Smoking can cause the skin to age prematurely and break down the dermal filler faster.
- Protect your skin from the sun. UV rays can break down the dermal filler and cause the skin to age prematurely. You should always use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when you are outdoors.
What Are The Risks and Side Effects?
The most common risk associated with fillers is infection. The risk of infection increases if you have a history of viral infections, such as cold sores or the flu.
The most common side effects include:
These side effects are usually mild and will resolve on their own within a week or two.
You should not receive dermal fillers if:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you are allergic to hyaluronic acid products
- If you have a history of keloid formation
- If you have a history of bleeding disorders
- If you have acute or chronic skin disease
- If you are under 22 years of age
Avoid Black Market Fillers
There are a lot of dermal filler products on the market that are not FDA-approved, and these products can be dangerous and can cause serious side effects. If you are thinking about getting dermal fillers, make sure you see a medical professional trained and experienced in injecting dermal fillers.
Dermal Fillers in Oakton VA
Dermal and facial fillers are popular cosmetic treatments used to help diminish the signs of aging. If you are looking for lip or dermal fillers in the Oakton, Arlington, or Washington DC area, look no further than the experts at Oakton Primary Care Center.
Dr. Allingham and his team are highly experienced in dermal filler injections and can help you achieve the results that you are looking for. Our friendly staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, call (703) 255-1191 or complete the online booking form.
Are dermal fillers permanent?
No, dermal fillers are not permanent. The filler will gradually break down over time and will eventually need to be injected again to maintain the results. The average filler treatment will last six to twelve months.
How long does bruising last after dermal fillers?
The bruising should resolve within a few days.
What is hyaluronidase?
Hyaluronidase is an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve dermal fillers if you are not happy with your results.
Do dermal fillers hurt?
Fillers are injected into the skin using a very fine needle. You may feel a little discomfort during the injection, but this can be minimized by using a topical numbing cream.
Can I have filler between my eyebrows?
Yes, dermal fillers can be injected between the eyebrows to help diminish the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Call or Request A Callback!
Learn more about our dermal filler treatments for facial rejuvenation in Oakton, VA.